Return to Siberia

My father Stanisław Manterys (7-12-1935 – ), his parents and four sisters, along with 1.7 million other Poles, were systematically deported by trains to Siberian forced-labour camps in 1940 by Stalin's army. He often spoke of this time and how he found eventual refuge in a welcoming New Zealand. I was fascinated by this story and often wondered what this “Siberia”, along with my father’s forced-labour camp, really looked like.

There existed no photos or film to place an actual image in my mind. Because it was so removed from my reality in peaceful New Zealand, I envisioned these events as something you’d imagine decades or even centuries before your time – in black and white, unreachable and as uncomprehending as the Dark Ages, and seemingly as ancient.

My more recent involvement in spending a year intensely producing a book on the history of these events brought that history much closer in some ways but it still remained distant in others. The book, New Zealand’s First Refugees – Pahiatua’s Polish Children, describes the deportation of the 1.7 million Poles to forced-labour camps throughout the Soviet Union and how a group of 733 mostly orphaned children found eventual refuge in Pahiatua, New Zealand, in 1944. By then at least 1 million had died as a direct result of these deportations.

Growing up in New Zealand in a Kiwi-Polish culture it was only a matter of course that I would travel to Poland and in my late 20s I finally did, three times. But Russia also held my interest for the simple matter that it was Poland’s largest neighbour and had the biggest influence on it historically. Though I’d travelled Europe extensively, I never got as far as Russia because it seemed somehow too far east, out of reach. So it wasn’t until my Polish wife Monika convinced me to go to her brother’s wedding in Poland that I found myself facing the real (and unreal) prospect of not only taking the opportunity to finally visit Russia, but actually finding and visiting my father’s forced-labour camp.

This was because my father had only recently discovered on a Russian-language website the name and location of his camp – Yagshordin in the Komi republic. It showed in surprising detail the names and personal information of all the Poles destined for systematic deportation from 1940, highlighting the organised and systematic effort that Stalin took in this endeavour. In the case of Yagshordin, 688 people were deported there on 10 February 1940 and finally released on 31 August 1942.

When we confirmed to my father that we were definitely interested and ready to find his camp, he researched and discovered a nearby city named Syktyvkar, capital of the northern-western Komi republic, between Archangelsk and Siberia proper. (Poles also refer to Siberia as any forced-labour camps in the Soviet Union that their citizens were deported to, even though many camps weren’t technically in Siberia.) Syktyvkar, it turned out, had an airport and was only 200km from Yagshordin.

The biggest hurdle for us (apart from obtaining visas) was learning anything at all about Yagshordin, its surrounding area or most importantly how to get there. Syktyvkar University, which holds public records of Russia’s forced-labour camps, returned none of our calls or emails, and the internet only showed Yagshordin’s location on a map. There was absolutely no clue on how, or if, you could get from Syktyvkar to Yagshordin. Luckily a friend in Wellington took the initiative and organised through his father in Sweden an English-speaking driver to take us from Syktyvkar and back for 6,000 roubles. Because there was no public transport we had no choice. But given that a translator was part of the deal, we considered it all up a lucky offer.

So on 27 June 2008, in the middle of a warm European summer, Monika and I were on a plane from Moscow, flying into what would be for both of us the most exciting and interesting time of our journey.

It was still light at 10pm when we landed at Syktyvkar Airport. Places this far north experience the white nights in summer when the sun doesn’t dip below the horizon. We began seeking Syktyvkar Hotel and ended up asking a friendly looking girl which bus to catch. She offered us a ride but first had to find her male friend who would come for us. Admittedly, this made me nervous and when a black-windowed car arrived I was about to refuse. But before I knew it my much more travel-wise and trusting Monika had already accepted and we were being taken away by our Russian strangers into the most far out and exotic place I had ever been. I was terrified of getting mugged – we were in Russia after all. But this was one of my first underestimations of how friendly and helpful everyday Russian people really are. Put them behind a desk or in power and it’s a very different story. But the average person on the street would do, and did during our time there, anything to help us.

At 8.30am the next morning we were outside the hotel to meet our driver. But he wasn’t there. Instead, through the confusion of language, we found he’d sent another driver, Kostya, who couldn’t speak English. Luckily for us, Monika had been educated in Poland during Soviet rule when the Russian language was part of the national curriculum, so she was able to have some sort of conversation with him. He soon understood our situation and phoned his friend Natalia, who would gladly and voluntarily, she stressed, be our interpreter for the day.

So off we drove into the more unknown. More unknown because Kostya had never heard of Yagshordin, didn’t know how to get there and soon I realised, based on my carefully researched map off the internet, that we were driving in the wrong direction. So Kostya turned the car around and drove to a bus terminal to confirm the directions. Nobody there could help him so he drove to his house and searched the internet for directions while we chatted in the car with Natalia.

Finding no better information that what I already had, we headed south down the scenic and heavily forested Syktyvkar to Moscow highway. It was one of those two-lane highways where drivers swerve from lane to lane to avoid the never-ending patchwork of potholes. And overtake in ways a New Zealand driver (the driving that I was used to) wouldn’t dream of. Again my paranoia resurfaced. Here I was in a car in the middle of Russia with strangers – anything could happen. This was Russia after all. But thankfully I was wrong again.

At this point I’d elected not to volunteer why we were going to Yagshordin. It was an attempt at culturally sensitivity because I wasn’t sure how Russians might react to people looking for evidence of their government’s crimes. But after Natalia had enquired several times, I decided to stop giving non-committal answers and tell them the truth. Then I qualified this with the fact that I had never once observed any resentment from the Polish refugees in New Zealand towards Russians, that they knew the Russians were good people and any animosity they might have was only to the perpetrators of the time.

200km later we turned right off the highway straight onto a rural road through Yagshordin’s neighbouring villages. They were plain, remote, wooden and very rustic, possibly poor by Western standards, but with the odd satellite dish betraying appearances. A particular feature was some of the houses painted in the Russian Orthodox blue. Soon the paved road turned to clay and, Kostya explained, we were lucky it was mostly dry or it would’ve been otherwise impassable. Looking out the window, one of the many ironies that day was the strong presence of the forestry industry – my father and his family had been taken there to chop trees.

We passed a cemetery, which we visited on the way back to find Polish names. There were none. But among the slowly rotting wooden graves we found a solitary granite plaque with a wooden cross which read: “In memory of the victims of political terror.” Why it was there, or if it had any link to some obscure forced-labour camp like Yagshordin, we do not know.

The problem we now faced was that none of the locals our driver stopped and asked had heard of Yagshordin and according to my map we’d already passed where it should have been a few kilometres before. So we stopped at the next village Veldor’ya. It was much like its neighbouring villages, possibly 20 houses, but what made me question what to a Westerner would look like poverty was the robust and laughing children running up and down the road, probably checking us out. I took some video and photos of the village, and was thankful to have at least gotten so close, to have been in the area.

I was ready to go home but our resourceful driver had been door knocking and to our enormous surprise found an old farmer, Misha, who had lived in Yagshordin and was there when the Poles arrived in 1940. He was a proud man who spoke with tears of how the villagers had tried to help them but the Russian soldiers would, and did, shoot any sympathisers. Eventually in final punishment the soldiers took all their livestock and food, then a heavy winter fell, and the Russian villagers either died as a result or moved away.

One of the many bizarre inconsistencies in these deportations was that Stalin claimed he was merely “relocating” the Poles to safer territories for their own safety, even paying them wages (below subsistence as they were). Maybe this money marginally increased the Poles’ chances of survival. He even allowed mail through – my father remembers mail from his eldest brother Edward, who had evaded the deportations and was now serving in the Polish army.

When the Poles left the village, it ceased to exist (yet it strangely still appears on maps and even Google Earth).

Misha was happy to meet us and insisted we come to his house to toast us with his precious goat’s milk. We were about to accept when another man appeared. His name was Valodya Lisiecki whose grandfather had been deported from Poland but had stayed in Russia and settled in Veldor’ya. Valodya, age 50, was also a proud and honest-looking man, and offered to take us to Yagshordin. But first, after noticing our inadequate shoes, had to go home to fetch us all gumboots because it was about a 2km walk through a swampy forest, and also coats to protect us from mosquitoes. With time running short, we had to unfortunately decline Misha’s invitation.

So we drove back a couple of kilometres on the forest-lined clay road to a precise point where only Valodya knew, got out of the car and Valodya said, in Russian of course: “This way to Yagshordin.” I walked through the beautiful and swampy beech and pine forest in disbelief that I was moments away from the very place where my father spent his years “in Siberia” – that unreachable and unimaginable family history, where the mere idea of ever visiting it was unthinkable. While lost in this thought, Valodya announced: “This is Yagshordin.”

We were in a clearing the size of a football pitch, maybe smaller, and that’s all it was – a beautiful, green and lush clearing surrounded by the forest, and a nearby river. There was absolutely nothing to show that people had once lived and died here. Nothing hinted at the slavery, disease, death and uncertainty that only the previous generation, people I knew, my father’s family, had experienced. The irony again was that we were well fed from our Russian breakfast, had money in our pockets, were being treated with great kindness, had the freedom to leave anytime we wanted and were marvelling at the beauty of the landscape.

Except for the damned mosquitoes. They seemed as big as birds and were everywhere. My father had once said that the summers were no relief from the arctic winters because of the heat and unrelenting mosquitoes. Standing there, this was as close as I came to experiencing anything that they did.

We then walked about 30 metres away from the clearing to the River Luza, which my grandparents were forced to cross everyday to chop trees and which my father correctly remembered as a five year old. Valodya pulled from his knapsack a bottle of wine, a cucumber and a tomato, announcing: “Now we celebrate Russian style.” We ate, drank and toasted until they were finished and, after hurling the bottle away, he explained how his father brought him here as a boy to play and taught him how to skim stones on the river. He showed us where the buildings once were and explained what had happened to them.

There was a barrack along the path from Yagshordin to the river where after the war some Russians moved in as employees of a “communist forest plant”. It’s possible that, because this was to the side of the main clearing, that the Poles had stayed in there. The barracks had remained standing until Gorbachev’s perestroika in the late 1980s when, keen to remove such evidence, he ordered the dismantling of former forced-labour camps. Mindful of not wasting resources, the locals put this particular barrack on a barge and floated in downstream to the neighbouring Vaymes village to be used as a school.

There was a spot on the river with a slight bend and quieter water, my father had explained, where his parents and elder sister were forced to cross everyday to fell the forest. I took a small break from the group and walked up to that bend, looked across the river and focused on the lush impenetrable forest. It had obviously grown back. A rudimentary bridge of two wires had been built back in the camp’s time and people were known to have fallen from it to their death. Valodya remembered a bridge there too, but this was many years later, was wooden and clearly wasn’t the same one.

As I found out, the road we had entered Yagshordin was not the road the deportees had taken. They would had arrived through the forest that was across the river because the nearest train station was 130km away through that forest. And they would have walked.

Then we walked back about 100 metres down the river past Yagshordin and Valodya, camera rolling, pointed ahead down the river bank and explained further what he knew.

“Just down there is the former village of Peklatchoy. You see this river, in the past its banks were clear. Barge haulers dragged boats laden with flour, salt and sugar up this river some 60km from Noshul. They got to Noshul by steamboat. They walked right here... They dragged things up for themselves, hauling a barge full of food supplies! Now it’s impossible even to walk here. Everything is overgrown with weeds.

“I didn’t see all this myself, I’m telling you what I heard from older people. I just wonder... What a life it was! Nobody would bring you anything. You had to do everything yourself. So they did everything themselves.

“Now the times have changed. Now a man can just sit on his tile stove at home, chase away the flies and ask “mum, has my pension arrived yet?” A man can shake a pension out of his wallet and keep going on drinking sprees... That’s all. In the past it wasn’t like this. A man didn’t receive any pension. He received nothing but what he could earn himself.”

And then it was time to go. We bade farewell to Yagshordin, for very different reasons that I’m sure my grandparents would have, and headed back to the road and Veldor’ya. (On the way I picked up a small pinecone as a memento for my father.) Our new friend Valodya insisted that we join him for dinner and overwhelmed us with hospitality. It appears his daughters had been busy cooking for us all afternoon on their wood-fired stove – delicious pancakes with jam, fishcakes, Russian dumplings, plus more wine and vodka.

Through our interpreter I asked him many questions about his thoughts as a Russian living in Russia. One of them was whether he felt in any way Polish. He said he was a born and bred Russian, and the only connection he had with Poland was his surname. And that we were the first Poles he had ever met. He told us it was his honour.

Yagshordin is in the Priluzsky region, in south Komi. The original non-Russian people are known as Komi and are now a minority. I asked Valodya if he was in any way linked to them. He replied that his grandmother was Komi and would speak to him in the language. However, after she died he gradually lost his ability to speak the language but can still understand it.

He said that he knows nothing of his family’s history, or its link to Poland, because post-war times were so tough and the effort for survival so overwhelming that there was little time or care for such sentimentalities.

He explained to us that he grows vegetables in his garden, keeps a few cows for milk, catches fish in the river and occasionally hunts. This gives him everything he needs to provide for his family, along with his wife’s job in a neighbouring village, and he desires little else. But he understands the value of a good education and encouraged his children to seek opportunity outside the village, which they did. I asked him about his view on Russian politics, whether he preferred communism to the current system. He said that both sides are as about trustworthy as each other but that the communist system tended towards favouring rural farmers. I was fascinated to see life through the eyes of a normal Russian and then compare this to Russia’s portrayal in the Western propaganda that I had grown up with.

We could have stayed and talked much longer but it was a long drive back to Syktyvkar and we had a plane to catch to St Petersburg early the next morning. On the road back we searched Vaymes for the transported barrack. Our driver stopped the car and asked children playing along the road if they new a “babushka” (old lady), because they were likely to have this old knowledge. The children would run inside to tell the inhabitants what we were after. Unfortunately, they were too suspicious of us and we only saw curtains twitching and closing in our wake. Apparently, news had spread fast among the neighbouring villages of our arrival.

We ultimately left Yagshordin and Veldor’ya with our stomachs bursting from Russian hospitality, and Monika leaned over to say it was the most gratifying and fulfilling experience she had had on all of her many travels. I didn’t disagree.

We arrived back in Syktyvkar around 10pm and took the brief opportunity and daylight to visit the city. It is a small city with a population of some 150,000. From what we saw, the small centre consists of one main high street ending at a roundabout with a typically giant Russian monument. Some of the buildings had large mosaics celebrating Soviet glory, a not uncommon site in the country, especially in the underground metros of major cities.

A music festival celebrating youth had just finished and we navigated our way past hoards of Russian teenagers in party mode. It was in some ways different from my world back at home but also very much the same. How do you imagine the opposite side of the world where you have never been and know nothing of? I felt privileged that I could finally be there.

As a footnote, while leaving Russia we got held at the border with Estonia because our visas had expired just a few hours before. We had to stay the night and waited for hours with uncertainty the next day at the military police office, negotiating our way with people who only spoke Russian and refused bribes. When they finally let us go we walked the 5km to the border and “freedom”. Though this in absolutely no way compares, it wasn’t dissimilar in form to my family being held in Russia when all they wanted to do was leave, and then trudging their way thankfully out of the country. We reflected on this as we finally stepped over the border and left Russia.

Adam Manterys (14-11-1970 – )
October 2008

There are various resources to help you trace your history of the deportations. A particularly useful one is www.indeks.karta.org.pl/en (you can search their database for names, etc). Or try http://lists.memo.ru/index13.htm (in Russian only).

If you or somebody you know was deported to the Yagshordin camp and has any information you would like to share, please contact us.


Mój ojciec Stanisław Manterys (7-12-1935 – ), jego rodzice i cztery siostry, Rozalia, Krystyna, Anna i Stefania byli w 1940 roku deportowani na Sybir do przymusowych obozów pracy. Często wspominał tamte czasy, aż do ostatecznego schronienia się w gościnnej Nowej Zelandii. Byłem zafascynowany tą historią i często zastanawiałem się, jak wyglądał rzeczywiście „Sybir” i obozy pracy.

Nie mieliśmy zdjęć czy filmów, na które mógłbym się powołać. Ponieważ obrazy przedstawiane w opowiadaniach ojca były dla mnie całkiem obce, wyobrażałem je sobie jak coś, co wydarzyło się w zamierzchłej przeszłości, bez kolorów, nieosiągalne, niezrozumiałe i tak odległe w czasie jak Wieki Czarne.

Niedawno pracowałem intensywnie nad redagowaniem książki „Dwie ojczyzny – Polksie dzieci w Nowej Zelandii – Tułacze wspomnienia” (w jej oryginalnym, angielskojęzycznym wydaniu: New Zealand’s First Refugees – Pahiatua’s Polish Children) i zapoznałem się szerzej z tematem, choć znaczna część tej historii pozostała mi nadal nieznana. Książka opisuje losy 733 polskich dzieci, w większości sierot, które po ucieczce z Rosji z armią Andersa, znalazły schronienie w Nowej Zelandii w 1944 roku. Dzieci te pochodziły z rodzin, które zesłano na Sybir podczas II wojny światowej.

Będąc urodzony w Nowej Zelandii z polskich rodziców i wyrastając w dwóch kulturach, nie mogłem uniknąć odwiedzenia Polski. Byłem trzy razy. Rosją interesowałem się z tego prostego powodu, że jest największym sąsiadem Polski i że wywarła wielki wpływ na jej historię i na dzieje mojej rodziny. Choć podróżowałem dużo po Europie, ale do Rosji nie dotarłem, bo myślałem, że trudno tam się dostać i wydawała mi się bardzo daleka. Dopiero, gdy moja żona Monika przekonała mnie do odwiedzenia jej rodziny w Polsce, stanąłem przed możliwością nie tylko odwiedzenia Rosji, ale i odnalezienia miejsca, gdzie znajdował się obóz mojego ojca i jego rodziny.

Stało się to możliwe, gdy ojciec dowiedział się o rosyjskim archiwum w światowej sieci (http://lists.memo.ru/, pisane cyrylicą), z nazwiskami ludzi skazanych na zsyłki i z zadziwiającymi szczegółami o Polakach (nie tylko) deportowanych za czasów Związku Sowieckiego. Wraz z rodziną ojca do miejscowości Jagszordin deportowano 688 Polaków. Wypuszczono ich 31 sierpnia 1942 roku. Dane w języku polskim: www.indeks.karta.org.pl/wyszukiwanie.asp

Gdy ustaliliśmy, że na pewno pojedziemy odszukać miejsce dawnego łagru, ojciec zbadał mapy w światowej sieci i znalazł na nich miasto Syktywkar, stolicę Republiki Komi, położonęj między Archangielskiem a Uralem w północnej Rosji. Jagszordin znajduje się około 200 km na południe od miasta Syktywkaru, które posiada lotnisko.

Wiedzieliśmy już, gdzie jest Jagszordin, ale nie wiedzieliśmy nic o tamtych stronach i nie mieliśmy żadnych danych, jak się tam dostać. Uniwersytet w Syktywkarze, który szczyci się na stronach światowej sieci, że ma najlepsze archiwa związane z łagrami na tamtym terenie, nie odpowiadał na nasze e-maile i telefony. Na szczęście, znajomy z Wellingtonu załatwił nam przez swego ojca zamieszkałego w Szwecji, kierowcę mówiącego po angielsku, który miał nas zawieźć samochodem z Syktywkaru do Jagszordin.

27 czerwca 2008 roku, leciałem z Moniką z Warszawy do Moskwy, w najbardziej podniecającą i ciekawą dla nas podróż.

Gdy wylądowaliśmy na lotnisku w Syktywkarze o 10 wieczorem, było jeszcze widno. Tak daleko na północy latem panują „białe noce”, gdyż słońce nie zachodzi. Zapytaliśmy życzliwie wyglądającej dziewczyny, jak mamy dostać się do hotelu „Syktywkar”. Ofiarowała nam transport, ale czekała jeszcze na kolegę, który miał przyjechać po nią samochodem. Gdy podjechał „mafijny” samochód z zaćmionymi szybami, przyznaję, że zląkłem się jego wyglądu i miałem już odmówić. Nie zdążyłem, bo ufna i doświadczona podróżniczka Monika wyraziła już zgodę za nas i niebawem jechaliśmy z naszymi rosyjskimi nieznajomymi w najbardziej egzotyczne miejsca, jakie kiedykolwiek oglądałem. Bałem się napadu – przecież to Rosja! Ale przekonałem się, jak przyjacielscy i pomocni są zwykli Rosjanie, jakich właśnie spotkaliśmy. Gdy siedzą za biurkiem i mają władzę, są nie do wytrzymania, ale prości ludzie na ulicy starali się pomóc.

O 8.30 rano następnego dnia czekaliśmy na umówionego kierowcę, który się nie zjawił. Na swoje miejsce przysłał swego kolegę nie znającego, niestety, angielskiego. Na szczęście, Monika chodziła do szkoły jeszcze za czasów Polski Ludowej, kiedy język rosyjski był obowiązkowy, więc mogła porozumieć się z nim jako tako. Rozeznał się w sytuacji i zadzwonił do swojej znajomej, która mówiła po angielsku. Zgodziła się być naszą tłumaczką, podkreślając, że zrobi to z przyjemnością i bez wynagrodzenia.

Wyjechaliśmy w nieznane. Okazało się, że nasz kierowca też jechał w nieznane, bo nie słyszał o miejscowości Jagszordin i nie wiedział, jak się tam dostać. Na szczęście mieliśmy ze sobą dobrze opracowane internetowe mapy i zorientowałem się, że kierowca jedzie w odwrotnym kierunku.

Zmieniliśmy kierunek na południe, wzdłuż malowniczej i gęsto zalesionej dwupasmowej trasy Syktywkar-Moskwa, pełnej dziur i wybojów. Kierowcy wymijali te przeszkody i inne pojazdy z tak samobójczą prędkością, z jaką w Nowej Zelandii się nie jeździ. Mój strach powrócił – jesteśmy w samochodzie w głębi Rosji z obcymi, wszystko może się nam przydarzyć. Przecież to Rosja! Ale na szczęście znów byłem w błędzie.

Zdecydowałem się nie ujawniać powodu naszej podróży do Jagszordin. Nie chciałem urazić uczuć tych Rosjan, bo nie wiedziałem jak zareagują na ludzi poszukujących śladów zbrodni ich rządów. Ale gdy nasza tłumaczka zadawała nam pytania, postanowiłem nie obwijać w bawełnę i mówić otwarcie dlaczego tu przyjechaliśmy. Po 200 kilometrach skręciliśmy z szosy na polną drogę, mijając wsie sąsiadujące z Jagszordin. Były daleko jedna od drugiej, zabudowane drewnianymi domami. Wyglądały biednie w porównaniu ze standardem zachodnim, ale gdzieniegdzie wyrastały na dachach dyski satelitarne. Wyróżniały się domy pomalowane na niebiesko, jeden z ukraińskim godłem narodowym nad drzwiami. Podłoże polnej drogi zmieniło się na gliniane. Kierowca wyjaśnił, że mamy szczęście, bo deszczową porą droga byłaby nie do przebycia. Wyglądałem przez okno i jako ironię losu odbierałem fakt, że wszędzie spotykam ślady wyrębu drzew – właśnie po to wysłano tu rodzinę ojca do przymusowej pracy.

Minęliśmy cmentarz, na który weszliśmy w drodze powrotnej, by odszukać polskie nazwiska. Takich nie znaleźliśmy. Ale wśród nagrobków stał drewniany krzyż, a pod nim granitowa płyta z rosyjskim napisem: „Pamięci ofiarom politycznego terroru”. Nie wiedzieliśmy czy miał on coś wspólnego z łagrem we wsi Jagszordin i dlaczego tam stoi.

Zatrzymaliśmy się w jednej ze wsi. Podobna do sąsiednich, które według mnie wyglądały biednie. Ale często zaskakiwał mnie widok zdrowych, roześmianych dzieci biegających po drodze, ciekawych, kim są ci obcy ludzie.

Nikt z zapytanych po drodze nie słyszał o miejscowości Jagszordin, a według mojej mapy ściągniętej z Internetu powinniśmy już ją minąć.

Byłem gotowy zawrócić, ale nasz przedsiębiorczy kierowca poszedł pukać do drzwi chat i ku naszemu wielkiemu zdziwieniu spotkał wiekowego gospodarza, który kiedyś mieszkał we wsi Jagszordin i był obecny, gdy przybyli tam Polacy w 1940 roku. Był dumny, opowiadał ze łzami w oczach, jak wieśniacy starali się pomóc głodującym Polakom, ale rosyjscy żołnierze rozstrzeliwali wszystkich jawnie pomagających. Za karę, że pomagali, żołnierze zabrali wieśniakom ich żywy inwentarz i żywność. Nadeszła zima, tutejsi wieśniacy powymierali albo opuścili wioskę. Nawet pamięć o tym miejscu prawie wygasła.

Wieś przestała istnieć po opuszczeniu łagru przez Polaków. Dziwne, że odnaleźliśmy to nieistniejące już miejsce tylko dzięki temu, że przestarzałe mapy tych terenów nadal figurują na stronach internetowych.
Nasz nowy znajomy cieszył się, że nas spotkał i serdecznie zapraszał do siebie na kozie mleko. Zanim zdążyliśmy przyjąć to zaproszenie, zjawił się inny mężczyzna. Nosił polskie nazwisko, a jego dziadek był polskim zesłańcem we wsi Jagszordin. Po amnestii osiedlił się w innej wsi. Miał 50 lat, wyglądał na uczciwego człowieka. Ofiarował się zabrać nas do dawnego Jagszordin. Spojrzał na nasze letnie obuwie, wrócił do domu i przyniósł nam gumowce, bo mieliśmy iść około dwóch kilometrów piechotą przez bagnisty las. Przyniósł nam też kurtki z kapturami – konieczną ochronę przed komarami. Ponieważ mieliśmy czas ograniczony, z przykrością musieliśmy zrezygnować z zaproszenia „naszego” staruszka na kozie mleko.

Zawróciliśmy kilka kilometrów leśną, polną drogą do punktu, który znał tylko nasz nowy znajomy. Kroczyliśmy przez piękny brzozowy i sosnowy las i dziwiłem się, że dzielą mnie tylko chwile od miejsca, w którym mój ojciec przeżył kilka lat „na Sybirze” – tej dotąd nieosiągalnej i niewyobrażalnej części rodzinnej historii. Myśl, że będę tu kiedyś osobiście, do niedawna nie postała w mojej głowie. Zamyślony, usłyszałem głos naszego przewodnika: „Tu jest Jagszordin”.

Znajdowaliśmy się na polanie wielkości boiska – i to wszystko. Piękna polana, a obok rzeka. Nic nie wskazywało, że tu kiedyś mieszkali i umierali ludzie. Nic, co by zdradzało obecność niewoli, chorób, śmierci i niepewności, których doświadczyło poprzednie pokolenie ludzi mi znanych, rodziny mojego ojca. A my jesteśmy po sytym rosyjskim śniadaniu, z pieniędzmi w kieszeni, mile goszczeni, wolni w wyborze drogi i mogący podziwiać piękno tego krajobrazu.

Nastrój psują przeklęte komary. Wydawały się wielkie jak ptaki i były wszędzie. Ojciec raz wspomniał, że wówczas lato nie niosło ulgi po srogiej zimie, z powodu gorąca i nieustępliwych komarów. Stojąc w tym dokuczliwym mrowiu, czuję, że moje doznania są tylko nikłą namiastkę tego, co odczuwali tamci skazańcy.

Przeszliśmy około 30 metrów przez zarośla do spokojnego zakola rzeki Łuzy. Dając mi wskazówki przed moją podróżą do Rosji, mój ojciec opowiadał, jak mój dziadek Serafin i jego starsze córki byli zmuszeni przechodzić rzeczkę każdego dnia do pracy przy wyrębie drzew. Ojciec wspominał, że ludzie przechodzili na drugą stronę, stąpając po linie przewieszonej przez rzekę, trzymając się drugiej liny, przewieszonej wyżej piersi – zdarzały się wypadki wpadnięcia do wody. Tuż przed ich wyzwoleniem, położono tam drewnianą kładkę. Przewodnik pamiętał, że dawniej był tu drewniany most. Pamięć mojego ojca (wówczas sześcioletniego chłopca) nie zawiodła, rzeczka wyglądała tak, jak ją opisał. Odszedłem na bok sam, by podumać na tym miejscu i zrobić zdjęcia.

Nasz gospodarz wyjął z plecaka butelkę wina, świeżego ogórka i pomidora i rzekł: „Teraz święcimy w rosyjski sposób”. Gospodarz opowiadał, że jak był jeszcze chłopcem, jego ojciec przyprowadzał go w to miejsce dla zabawy i jak uczył rzucać kamieniami po wodzie. Pokazał nam, gdzie dawniej stały baraki i powiedział, co się z nimi potem stało.

Wzdłuż ścieżki wiodącej od rzeki do wsi Jagszordin stał barak, gdzie po wojnie mieszkali pracownicy rosyjscy zatrudnieni w „komunistycznych zakładach leśnych”. Baraki stały do czasu pierestrojki pod koniec lat osiemdziesiątych, gdy Gorbaczow, chcący usunąć ślady po łagrach, rozkazał rozebrać obozowe budynki. Z natury oszczędni, tutejsi ludzie załadowali barak na tratwę i spławili w dół rzeki do sąsiedniej wsi Wajmes, gdzie przerobiono go na szkołę.

Nasz przewodnik powiedział, że zesłańców przyprowadzono tu, mimo srogiej zimy, nie drogą, lecz piechotą przez las i przez rzekę, bo najbliższa kolej jest oddalona o 130 km.

Uszliśmy około kilkaset metrów wzdłuż rzeki, gdzie znajdowała się pobliska wioska Pakłoczoj („daleka góra”). W tamtych czasach brzegi rzeki nie były zarośnięte, więc niewolnicy mogli ciągnąć tratwy z prowiantem 60 km od miejscowości Noszul. Teraz byłoby to niemożliwe, bo las rósł aż do samej rzeki. Może mieli postoje po drodze, w miejscowości Muraszczi, po drodze do Letki, przez dużą wioskę Łowliu, dokąd NKWD przygnało wielu Polaków. NKWD ostrzegało tutejszą ludność przed pomaganiem Polakom, grożąc jej uwięzieniem lub śmiercią.

Nadszedł czas odejścia. Podniosłem szyszkę z tego miejsca, na pamiątkę dla mego ojca. Nasz przewodnik nalegał żebyśmy wstąpili do jego domu na obiad. W tym czasie, gdy zwiedzaliśmy tajgę, jego córka krzątała się przy kuchni opalanej drewnem. Delektowaliśmy się smacznymi plackami z dżemem i z ryby, ruskimi kluskami, no i winem oraz wódką.

Zapytałem, czy czuje się w jakikolwiek sposób Polakiem. Odpowiedział, że jest urodzonym i wychowanym Rosjaninem i tylko nazwisko łączy go z Polską. Byliśmy pierwszymi Polakami, których spotkał i czuł się tym zaszczycony.

Pierwotna ludność tej ziemi to plemiona Komi, które są teraz w mniejszości, większość stanowią Rosjanie. Babcia naszego gospodarza była z plemienia Komi i rozmawiała z wnukiem ich językiem. Po jej śmierci powoli zapomniał tego języka, ale go jeszcze rozumie.

Ma on ogródek warzywny, kilka dojnych krów, łowi ryby w rzece i czasami upoluje coś w lesie. To wystarcza na podstawowe potrzeby jego rodziny, a żona dorabia pracą za wsią. Nic mu więcej nie potrzeba. Docenia wartość oświaty dla swoich dzieci, które zachęcał, aby szukały życiowej szansy poza wsią. Dzieci posłuchały. Zapytałem go o opinię na temat rosyjskiej polityki: czy wolał komunizm czy obecny system. Odpowiedział, że jeden nie jest bardziej wiarygodny od drugiego, a komunizm był łagodniejszy dla rolników. Byłem zafascynowany, słuchając poglądów wygłaszanych przez tego zwykłego Rosjanina, bo nie słyszałem tego dotąd od ludzi Zachodu.

Z żalem opuściliśmy Jagszordin i wieś Wałdorię, z żołądkami pękającymi po okazanej nam gościnności. Monika powiedziała, że było to najbardziej zadowalające i wzbogacające doświadczenie z jej dotychczasowych podróży, a objechała wszystkie kontynenty. Całkowicie się z nią zgodziłem.

W drodze powrotnej zatrzymaliśmy się we wsi Wajmes, by odszukać barak, który tu przeniesiono z Jagszordin. Niestety, ludzie byli nieufni i tylko drganie firanek w oknach zdradzało ich zaciekawienie.
Dla mnie pobyt w tak odległym od domu miejscu, z tak odmiennym sposobem życia był dotąd nie do pomyślenia. Czułem się zaszczycony, że mogłem tu nareszcie dotrzeć.

Jeżeli który z czytelników wie coś więcej na temat łagru w Jagszordin, lub jest zainteresowany książką o polskich dzieciach w Nowej Zelandii (wymienioną na początku artykułu), proszę o kontakt znami.

Adam Manterys (14-11-1970 – )
październik 2008

Istnieją różne środki, które pomogą Ci śledzić historię deportacji na Sybir. Szczególnie przydatny jest www.indeks.karta.org.pl/en (można przeszukiwać bazę danych nazw, itp.). Albo spróbujhttp://lists.memo.ru/index13.htm (w języku rosyjskim).

Jeśli wiesz o kimś, kto został deportowany do obozu Jagszordin w Republice Komi Związku SOwieckiego i ma jakąkolwiek informację, z którą chciałby się podzielić, prosimy o kontakt z nami.